Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Plan, be a part of the big wave of change...


      
So, my service learning and experiences ebbed and flowed as I continued along my journey into adulthood.  During college, I mostly began my professional service career by getting my undergrad in psychology and working with the domestic violence and sexual assault victims at a safe house and a crisis line.
      
 After graduation, I moved and continued my work in the public service field as I continued to work with battered women and people suffering from alcoholism and drug addiction.

       The summer of 2005, shortly after the major tsunami which took out Sri Lanka and Banda Aceh, Indonesia, I went with my mother to do relief work in Banda Ache and help rebuild a school there.  
This boat was I kilometer from shore.

We brought school supplies and met the children of the local school which the Medfield Middle School system had partnered with, thanks to my Mom, Margaret Mongiello, and her great heart and inspiring dedication.
We met a wonderful staff and partnered with Plan International, to help bring joy and supplies to people who had just lost everything.  It was rewarding and devastating at the same time.  Thanks Mom, for raising me to the be the person that I am and teaching me to value service.  I clearly got it from you, and wouldn't trade this quality for anything in the world.    

2 comments:

  1. I can count on one hand the experiences I have had with community service while I think you can count the countries that you have given to. I appreciated your blog title and the way that your posts "flow" from one to the other. It is especially touching how you had a mother and daughter trip where you could see first hand where you got your love of service learning from. Keep the entries coming as they are very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again Amy for another great post! I can't imagine what the devastation in Indonesia entailed. Its great that you had a specific and tangible project to work on while you were there (not that organizations don't usually have specific projects set up). I think I'd be overwhelmed and not know what to do when seeing the condition of the country. Again, great post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete