Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Sometimes service is in the "thank you"

All to often, we, or at least I associate service with a big or noble act.  However, I'm now wondering if service is any time we do for others.  Can this be as simple as communication?  All to often, in our crazy busy world today, we think the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  Often, communication is negative in nature.  Can we flip that and even go so far as to consider it a small, but important form of service?

Recently, I took some time to thank a few parents for sending me such wonderful kids to work with.  It felt so good to write them and send thanks, something we rarely take the time to do.  I received a few thank you comments back and it was a wonderful way to end another great year.  

I think that every time we take a moment to share something positive or to send a thank you, that is a small form of service and is ALWAYS worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree. We need to share those positives when we can. We sometimes assume that people should always just do the right thing and don't reward it and highlight when people do something wrong. Bringing the good stuff out and acknowledging it truly is doing a good service! Inspiring posts and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a principal that asked all the teachers to make simple, casual phone calls to their students' parents throughout the beginning of the school-year. The idea was to do what you're suggesting: create open lines of communication about something other than a student's behavior or grades. The school I'm in now is located in a great community. I happen to live in a neighborhood within our attendance area so I'm in close contact with parents and students pretty frequently. Having those connections is such a blessing in education!

    ReplyDelete